The basement of a building is always considered to be the most unsettling corner vulnerable to water damage. As a property owner, you must have also gone through some extent of basement flooding or dampness during heavy rains or snowfall. Despite undergoing external and internal waterproofing of basements, we often witness pooling water, damp walls, and leaky ceilings whenever there is an excessive downpour. And surprisingly, most of us fail to recognize the source of the problem! Or even worse- we do not contemplate its severity!
Even though you had hired the best waterproofing contractors Bronx for your basement waterproofing project, you are clueless about its failure! So, what went wrong? As the famous saying goes- “prevention is better than cure”, so probably, that is where you need to focus. It is not enough to simply waterproof your basement and forget about it! You require proper maintenance to ensure its effectiveness and longevity.
It takes much more to repair water damage compared to practicing preventative maintenance. Not only do you require investing a large sum, but most repair techniques are invasive, demanding superior skills and expertise. So, today we are here to discuss the preventive measures that can save you from wet basements requiring expensive fixes.
Basement Maintenance Tips
Several factors contribute to wet basements. Sometimes you have no other choice than to seek waterproofing contractors services. Before we begin, let us tell you that all the waterproofing issues do not result from external elements. Many internal factors too are responsible for basement water damage issues. Hence, you need to maintain the building interior to combat a damp basement.
- Examine Basement Windows- You never know if the dampness in your basement walls is due to the leaking windows. With time, the windows develop cracks and lose caulking. It also affects the building’s energy efficiency. Hence, it is necessary to re-caulk windows periodically to seal cracks and leaks.
- Check the Sump Pump- A significant technique to drain out the water collected at the lowest site in your property is installing a sump pump. The waterproofing contractors Bronx consider it the most effective way to prevent flooding, mold, and mildew. So, you must inspect your sump pump often to keep it in good working condition.
- Install Water-Detection System- Today, the plumbing system has come a long way and is utilizing technologies to detect leaks in pipes or water in your basement. When you invest in these water-detection devices, you can remain worry-free about flooding basements causing potential threats.
- Inspect Window Wells- Window wells are installed to keep off rainwater from your building. Also, they prevent dirt from entering through the foundation openings. Examining the window wells regularly will ensure their proper functioning, curtailing the risk of water leaks.
- Evaluate Landscape Sloping- Often, water accumulates around the building foundation when the sloping of your landscape is not directed away from it. A waterproofing specialist contractor considers landscaping one of the primary elements of effective waterproofing. If you have improper landscaping, you must contact a professional to address the problem.
- Look for Foundation Cracks- Cracks in the foundation can occur at any point due to temperature fluctuations, moisture, and stress. Even the tiniest crack can cause havoc if not treated promptly. It is an easy passage for water infiltration, gradually leading to decay and weakening structural stability.
- Keep Downspouts, Gutters, and Drains Clean- Clogged drainage system is a prevalent cause of water lodging. When the downspouts, gutters, and drains fill with debris, water starts pooling around your foundation, leading to a damp basement.
- Use Superior Quality Waterproofing Materials- Never compromise on quality when looking for cheaper products. Always invest in A-grade materials to ensure maximum longevity and enhanced efficiency. Hire the best waterproofing companies to ascertain the skill, expertise, and experience required for a durable result.
- Encourage Float Valves- Lately, float valves are extensively preferred by property owners to restrict the backflow of floor drain water. It is a budget-friendly solution with long-term effectiveness.
- Pipe Insulation- Frozen pipes result in cracking as it generates too much pressure. Insulating the pipes can be an excellent fix to prevent cracks and probable leaks.
When you follow these preventive measures, be assured to stay clear of hassles and buy yourself more time for a sustainable living. Safe today means a brighter tomorrow!